Hello everyone, and welcome back to The Bookworm’s Fantasy! I hope you’re all doing well. Today I’m going to be posting the newest instalment to my “Top Shelf Spotlight” series. You can find the other posts in the series here. In this series, I will be focusing on one book in particular that has made my “top shelf/favourites” bookshelf. I’ll be giving you some information on the book, as well as sharing some of my personal thoughts on the novel. I hope you enjoy this new series, and please leave any feedback below, including any other posts or series you’d like to see on my blog! So, here goes…
THE LIE by C.L. Taylor.
I know your name’s not really Jane Hughes . . .
Jane Hughes has a loving partner, a job in an animal sanctuary and a tiny cottage in rural Wales. She’s happier than she’s ever been but her life is a lie. Jane Hughes does not really exist.
Five years earlier Jane and her then best friends went on holiday but what should have been the trip of a lifetime rapidly descended into a nightmare that claimed the lives of two of the women.
Jane has tried to put the past behind her but someone knows the truth about what happened. Someone who won’t stop until they’ve destroyed Jane and everything she loves…
‘THE LIE’ was the first book I EVER reviewed on my blog (you can find that here). Since then, I’ve read three out of four of her books and vow to read any that she writes in the future. One of my favourite authors!
About the Author
C.L. Taylor is the author of four psychological thrillers: ‘THE ACCIDENT’, ‘THE LIE’, ‘THE MISSING’ and ‘THE ESCAPE’. In the past, she has written various short stories and romantic comedy novels (as Cally Taylor). She has also written a Young Adult thriller titled ‘THE TREATMENT’, which was published in September 2017. Taylor lives in Bristol with her partner and son.
About the Book
Release Date: April 2015
Genre: Psychological Thriller, Mystery, Suspense.
Average Goodreads rating: 3.73
Film? Optioned for television by The Forge.
Author’s other works: ‘THE LIE’ (2015), ‘THE MISSING’ (2016), ‘THE ESCAPE’ (2017), ‘THE TREATMENT’ (2017) and other romantic comedies as Cally Taylor. Her latest novel, ‘THE FEAR’, is due to be released in March 2018.
Themes explored: Mental illness, pregnancy issues, substance abuse, domestic abuse, trauma.
Favourite character/narrator: Jane/Emma by far!
What I liked/overall standout elements:
- I really enjoyed the way in which the narrative switches back and forth in time. The story switches from the present day, in which Jane is being stalked, to the past, revealing Jane/Emma’s troubling relationships with her friends, and building up to what happened on their trip to Nepal.
- The novel contains a large cast of characters, all of which are unique and bring something different/valuable to the narrative. All the characters are extremely well-developed and complex in their own ways.
- Taylor creates a very claustrophobic atmosphere throughout the book, and I was hooked from the very first page. I just had to keep reading in order to solve the mystery and discover exactly what happened on that fateful trip to Nepal.
- There are many thriller elements within the novel, such as increasing tension and suspense, a gradual release of information (details about the trip to Nepal), many twists and turns, and an almighty climax.
- Taylor expertly explores many issues within the novel, such as mental illness, pregnancy issues, substance abuse, domestic abuse and trauma. Each issue is explored with a good amount of detail, and no stone is left unturned in this novel.
- There’s a dramatic end scene, jam-packed full of action. Jane/Emma discovers the truth and must escape before it is too late. I was on the edge of my seat during the final scene – I couldn’t tear my eyes away from the page!
My overall verdict: If you enjoy Psychological Thrillers, you MUST pick up one of C.L. Taylor’s novels!
Happy reading 🙂